The wall of Messolonghi was designed by the engineer, Michalis Kokkinis after Mavrokordatos order and was built by the Free Besieged. The construction of the wall began March 7th, 1823 and was completed by the end of 1824. The original wall was much larger in length than the current one, and used to cover the entire north side of Messolonghi, connecting the city with the land.
In the heroic Exodus, the wall was almost entirely destroyed, and was rebuilt by king Otto, in 1838 in memory of the fallen. Today's Gate also features prominently and is located in the same place where the old one used to be. Outside the main gate, there is a sign which has the following written on it: Every Free Man is a Citizen of Messolonghi, reminding every visitor the heroic sacrifice of the Free Besieged.