Another historic building is the old railway station of the sacred town of Messolonghi, today widely known as "Trikoupeio cultural center."
Carilaos Trikoupis was the visionary who decided the creation of a railroad across the country in 1882. In this context, in June 1888, the construction of a railway line 44 km long that connected Messolongi – Etoliko- Agrinio came to life. The first rail trip was realized from Messolonghi to Agrinio, on March 15th, 1890, while within the next year the extension of the railroad line that connected Messolonghi to Krioneri, was also delivered for use.
It should be underlined here that the Railway Station of Messolonghi, was in fact the central station throughout Northwest Greece. Today the old railway station, after having been renovated and redesigned, hosts cultural events throughout the year such as lectures, concerts, art exhibitions as well as film screenings by the Messolonghi Friends of Film Association.